Also known as the New Valide Mosque or Sultan Mosque, the mosque was commissioned by Safiye Sultan, the wife of Sultan Murad III in 1597 in İstanbul. It was completed only in 1665 thanks to the efforts and donations of Sultan Mehmed IV’s mother Turhan Hatice Sultan. The New Mosque, which is an important landmark of Istanbul and a significant completion to its silhouette, is the last example of great mosques built by the Ottoman family in Istanbul. It is known as the mosque, of which construction took the longest time in Turkish architecture history.
As a part of the restoration project that began in 2020, a total of 850 Iznik tiles with dimensions of 25x25 cm, 12x25 cm and 9x25 cm were produced in line with their original appearance. The restoration project is still underway.